Monday, December 12, 2011

The Birthday Party, Part 1

Besides managing to avoid decorating eggs for Easter until this year, we also managed to avoid giving Sky a big birthday party with friends. Ever since we moved back to the US when Sky was in preschool, he's asked to have a party and invite his whole class. In past years, I have been able to come up with plausible alternatives to the big party, but not this year.

In a valiantly misguided effort to make the whole process slightly less painful, I decided to do a combined party for Sky and Pink P since their birthdays are within a month of each other. Given Ren's undying habit of being the perfect host no matter what the occasion, I also decided we could not have the party at home. Before you start thinking I'm a great wife because I'm looking out for Ren's well being and trying to help reduce his stress, I should probably admit that my reasons were purely selfish. Whenever we have company, Ren turns into uber-host (think Soup Nazi on steroids) and becomes impossible to live with for weeks beforehand (and sometimes even after).

[Okay, so I know you don't believe me on this, so here are a few pictures from Sky's first birthday:]




In the top left picture, notice the large rice cake that he pounded himself and decorated in celebration of his first son's first birthday. And then there's the money, calligraphy brush, and calculator that Ren used to determine Sky's future strengths. The other two pictures are the foods (red bean rice and pot stickers) he made by hand in preparation for Sky's first birthday party, which, by the way, only included a few family and friends.]

So in a stab at self preservation, I suggested we have a roller skating party. Sky and Pink P embraced the idea. After all, they'd always wanted to try skating.

Now, I know you're thinking I'm insane to plan a skating party for two kids who can't skate, one of whom also has some serious sensory integration issues. And you are probably right. I mean, can you just imagine proprioceptive-seeking behavior on skates?

The lady at the skating rink didn't know about Sky's challenges, but she was still leery--leery enough to try to talk me out of making the reservation.

"This isn't our recommended party for four-year olds," she pointed out, not at all impressed by my forced enthusiasm.

"Only some of the kids will be four," I said. "Most of them will be seven," Then I foolishly added, "My kids can't wait to try skating."

She arched her eyebrows, "Are you really sure you want to do this?"

Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?


2 comments:

FMBMC said...

You are one brave woman.

Sara said...

This is going to end badly....