Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Diversion

I still can't figure out how to write about what happened in Connecticut, so here, a diversion:

Just in time for the holidays, we've decided to take the plunge and go gluten-free. We've been toying with the idea for awhile, and in fact, had almost made it to a totally gluten-free diet when we got celiac test results that were negative. At about the same time, our nutritionist told us that while going casein-free helps more than 80% of spectrum kids who try it, going gluten-free only helps 57%. Oh, and you need to be completely gluten-free for months before you may see results. These three pieces of information were enough to put me off the idea for a couple of months. To be honest, I'd been fighting the urge to give up completely after realizing just how many times kids bring in special treats (i.e. cupcakes or cookies) for school snack time. I don't know about you, but I don't remember there being a snack time after nursery school. But, whatever.

The point is, after a couple of months of not trying to be gluten-free we have finally come to the realization that we need to do it before we can decide whether to panic about Sky's unpredictable behavior. So here goes...



Day One went okay with gluten-free pretzels and sun butter and jelly sandwiches on gluten-free frozen waffles. Only a jillion more days and dollars to go! Oh, and it only took two years, but I figured out if I include crunchy things like carrots and apples in Sky's lunch, he's able to eat peacefully with a little zen attitude left for his afternoon. Who knew crunching could be so therapeutic (Well, except for all the OTs out there--I'm sure they knew).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the Gluten-Free Goddess blog - she has great recipes for all things gluten-free: breakfast foods, desserts, crackers, etc... Is it possible for the teacher to keep a stash of gluten-free treats (that you could provide) on the side for your kids to have when they can't have the cupcake or whatever? At least they get a little something special too.

Anonymous said...

That's what we do -- we provide the teacher with a bunch of gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free treats that she pulls out for our son whenever there's a special treat. (Kinnikinnick makes pretty good oreo-look-alikes.) Also, if you want crunch, Snyder's GF pretzels are good, too. But beware of substituting too many grains -- I had GF cereal and toast at breakfast, GF grains for snacks and every meal, and now I'm sensitive to gluten-free grains, too! (That means no rice! or corn!) So I'd say offer a lot of sweet potatoes or potatoes for starches, instead of grains, and save the GF baked goods for special occasions. Good luck!

Mom on the Edge said...

Thanks for the info! I will look into it. I already provide alternative snacks for Pink P due to milk and nut allergies, but I hate to entirely exclude them from class celebrations. They both feel somewhat "weird" already due to their ASD, asthma and allergies, and I struggle with how to not make them feel even more alienated. Plus, one of my goals has been to introduce the diet in a way that they can accept and take ownership of it. Any advice on how to deal with these kinds of issues?

Anonymous said...

Oh this post is so old, sorry, but my son has.. something. (18mos, no answers) and we've been gluten and dairy free for awhile. If you happen to have a Trader Joes near you. their GF/DF Waffles are only about $1.50 a box, barely more than Eggos. Vans are wicked expensive. And this brand Gillians Foods will ship stuff to you frozen. we've bought from them too, cinnamon raisin bagels, onion bagels, english muffins. Their prices aren't horrifying either. I think our last order was $75 with shipping but it's enough bread products for my 4y.o and my husband (28y.o. trucker) to have breakfasts and sandwiches all month.