Sunday, September 17, 2023

What My Kids are Creating These Days, Part 1

It's been awhile since I posted art by the kids, but have no fear! They have been making all sorts of stuff, and they wanted me to share it with you. 

First, Stow.

While Stow likes to draw, he LOVES making videos of his Lego. Like many boys his age, he wants to be a YouTuber when he grows up. We've had plenty of conversations about the viability of that plan, and now that he has a YouTube channel, he certainly understands the vagaries of viewership numbers. But, that's not the point. At least not for me. When Stow makes a video or a post, he focuses on what his viewers might want. He teams up with other YouTubers, so they can promote each other. Not only does his channel force him to think through how to reach more people, it also makes him more social.

A portion of his clone troopers

Clone trooper video

His channel includes build videos, surveys of his viewers, posts from other YouTubers, photos, and more. My favorite part is his MOCs (My Own Creation). He can spend hours reconstructing scenes from various films or TV programs. His obsession with Star Wars clone troopers remains the basis for most of what he makes, and his MOCs reflect that. At the beginning, he did stop motion videos of clone trooper builds, but it didn't take him long to shift to making MOC scenes for the clone troopers. Making a MOC takes a lot of creativity and time, and it encourages him to go back to Lego pieces he hasn't used in years.

MOC before filming

Mini MOC video


So, I don't know. I've never been a fan of YouTube. Sometimes I think it kidnaps my kids entirely, and I really don't like its algorithm. But, this whole YouTube channel thing has been pretty great for Stow.  I linked to it above, but here it is again in case you want to take a look. If you do, please consider subscribing or liking his videos. It really means a lot to him!

Part 2 is here.
Stow's YouTube channel is here in case you missed the links above.

No comments: